Friday 19 September 2008

MRSA Infection

Well as if I hadn't got enough to be getting on with, I get the dreaded news that I was infected with MRSA. Swabs had been done around my wound and the results were confirmed. This was it I thought, this is what will finally kill me off! I was totally devastated as my partners uncle had died of MRSA in the same hospital. That's all i knew, it was a killer. No-one really explained the facts to me. I was isolated, given my own room which was fantastic as I finally was able to get a good nights sleep. Also I had some privacy which was nice. I was put on a 5 day cause of medication which included a nasal cream, mouth wash and Aquasept bacterial liquid which I had to shower and wash with. They checked me a few days later and it was found not to be working and so a different lot of drugs was prescribed and taken. Same process just different names. I still had MRSA when I finally went home. I had to continue with the treatment at home and the district nurse then swabbed me again to check on the infection state. Results came back that I had 'scanty' growth. This basically means 'blink and you'll miss it' under the microscope. Not threatening or harmful. I may still be a carrier which is why today at my pre-op assessment, I was swabbed, Nose, Throat and Groin. If I am a carrier then another course of treatment will be necessary and I will not be able to go into hospital for my reversal until I am 'all clear'.

No comments: