Thursday 18 September 2008

Cold Turkey


Due to the amount of pain I experienced, I was prescribed OxyNorm 5mg / 10mg to help with my pain management. WARNING: This is a derivative of Morphine and is addictive. I was not aware of the addictive properties to be perfectly honest. All I knew is that it enabled me to be pretty much pain free, so I took it daily in hospital and continued to take it once I was home. Once my pain eased, I decided to STOP the OxyNorm. After 2 days I was bouncing off the walls, having cold and hot sweats every few minutes, feeling irritable, agitated and very emotional. My partner called the surgery and spoke with a Doctor. He basically said that due to the time I was on the drug and the dosage, I should go on a program of withdrawal , which meant reducing the dose gradually. This could take several weeks. I didn't want to do this, I wanted to be rid of the hold it had on me. No pain....no pain Killers I thought. The Doctor said that I could do it my way but the side effects would get worse before getting better. It depended on how determined I was. I am VERY determined. I had done 2 days and didn't want to waste them so continued down the path of 'Cold Turkey'. It was horrendous. There were times when I thought I should just take one tablet, but I didn't. I persevered and finally after 13 days, I felt that my system was clear. Suddenly, my appetite returned, everything felt brighter, smelled fresher and I felt I had a new lease of life. I had more energy and I felt very positive. This was a turning point in my recovery. I was also on sleeping tablets Zopiclone 7.5mg. These helped me get some sleep as I was suffering with night terrors and flashbacks. These had to go to, so whilst on withdrawal from the OxyNorm I decided in my infinite wisdom to stop the Zopiclone to! I don't do things by halves. This was also a pretty terrible experience as I was unable to sleep for days. I did go to the chemist and get a herbal sleep remedy but this had no effect what-so-ever. Ah well, I battled on and soon enough, my sleep pattern returned. Hoorah.........
Now I am pretty ANTI tablets, even paracetamol worry me. Its a psychological thing I think, so I purchased a TENS Machine. This has been fantastic. It basically gives you little electrical shocks/pulses which confuse the brain. Your brain is able to recognise one pain so it diverts your brain to the pulses and then you find, or I have, that you don't feel any other kind of pain be it bowel or for me now, horrendous Period Pain. My periods stopped for 4 months following my bowel surgery but came back with a vengeance. I have found the Tens machine a godsend. It may not work for everyone but given the choice between addictive drugs in my system or harmless electrical pulses, then bring on the Tens Machine any day!
How do TENS machines work?

Transcutaneous means 'through the skin'. TENS machines deliver small electrical pulses to the body via electrodes placed on the skin. TENS machines are thought to affect the way pain signals are sent to the brain. Pain signals reach the brain via nerves and the spinal cord. If pain signals can be blocked then the brain will receive fewer signals from the source of the pain. We may then feel less pain.

TENS machines are thought to work in two ways.

When the machine is set on a high pulse rate (90-130 Hz) it triggers the 'pain gate' to close. This is thought to block a pain nerve pathway to the brain. This is the normal method of use.
When the machine is set on a low pulse rate (2-5 Hz) it stimulates the body to make its own pain easing chemicals called endorphins. These act a bit like morphine to block pain signals.
Can TENS machines be used by everybody?

TENS machines tend to be mainly used to help reduce pain from problems in muscles, joints and nerves rather than abdominal, chest or head pains. Unlike a lot of medication there are virtually no side-effects when using a TENS machine. However, people with the following must not use a TENS machine:
When the cause of the pain is not known or not diagnosed.
Pregnancy (unless specifically medically advised).
Pacemakers.
Epilepsy or certain types of heart disease.

No comments: